[Cvsnt] repository on network share using workgroups!

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Jun 8 20:05:43 BST 2002

The reason cvsnt cannot access your repository sitting on the network
shared drive is that this drive is not accessible to the cvs service.
CVSNT runs as a service in account context SYSTEM and this account
does not have any rights outside the PC where it is located. It cannot
access any network resources for instance.

Therefore it is a bad choice and generally discouraged to try to place
the repository on a network drive. It has been said that it is
possible, but you need to tweak the CVSNT setup a lot, among others
you need to change the account in which it runs and you have to grant
rights to this account that normally is not available to any account
except SYSTEM and Admin.

Please consider moving the repository to a local drive instead.

Further info:
http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html

/Bo

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002 16:26:49 +0000 (UTC), "Paolo Mucciacciaro"
<paolom at mss.ca> wrote:

>Hello
>
>   I'm having some trouble trying to get my cvsnt to map a repository on the
>network.
>
>   Is it possible for someone to help me figure out my problem?
>
>    When I create the repository on a shared drive using CVSNT 1.11.1.3
>build57d everything works fine. However when I try to login in I get the
>following message.
>
>C:\>cvs login
>Logging in to :pserver:muc at man-tx:2401\projects
>CVS password: ********
>cvs [login aborted]: Cannot login: Server has insufficient rights to
>validate us
>er account - contact your system administrator
>

>Note I have the impersonation disabled 0x00000.
>

>Thank you for your time
>Paolo.

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)