[Cvsnt] CVSNT installation on W2K with Bo Berglunds installation tips.

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Jun 9 20:08:46 BST 2002

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 18:11:07 +0000 (UTC), "Dries De Moor"
<dries.demoor at yucom.be> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to install cvsnt and wincvs on a Windows 2000 Prof. I searched
>the internet and I found the documents on www.devguy.com and
>w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/installcvsnt.html
>
>I followed the last document I mentioned above. Setting the repository, init
>it, getting the service to run is no problem. But is I type the following
>command cvs passwd -a Dries I get the following error:
>Error 1231 Couldn't connect to named pipe on remote machine.
>
>I have several partitions(only one FAT32). Can it be a problem to install
>cvsnt on c: drive and the repository on f: drive?
>
>I even tried it at my machine at the office too. There my hard disk is FAT32
>filesystem. And there it works. Although the document says you have to use
>NTFS. ( You need NTFS if you want to set security to some of the modules in
>the repository. Is this correct?)
>
>Can somebody explain me what is going wrong?
>

>Thanks a lot,
>

>Dries De Moor

First,
the NTFS file system is my choice since about 8 years, never use
anything else, so I cannot really tell from my own experience what a
FAT32 file system would be like. It is anyway only available for W2000
and XP, NT4 cannot even read FAT32.
With NTFS you get all kinds of security related benefits, you can set
the access rights down to individual files in the repository if you
like. All in all a much better file system.

But that said, I don't think CVSNT will have a problem running with
the repository on a FAT32 volume. And it is perfectly OK to have the
repository on F: (a local volume) and the program itself on C:, that
is how I have it on several servers.

Named pipe
This is a tricky networking problem, basically the ability to connect
using named pipes depens on the 'trust' between the client and server
PC. If they both belong to the same domain then all is fine, but if
not then the operating system comes into the picture. Can you tell us
what OS level you have on the client and server respectively?

And you could test this: