[Cvsnt] .perms file error msg "cannot open ... Permission Denied"

Jones, David G DavidG.Jones at gbr.xerox.com
Mon Jun 10 16:40:59 BST 2002

Hi, when I do cvs edits I get a stream of messages similar to:
cvs edit: cannot open d:\cvs\dev/a/b/c/d/e/f/.perms: Permission denied
cvs edit: cannot open d:\cvs\dev/a/b/c/d/e/.perms: Permission denied
cvs edit: cannot open d:\cvs\dev/a/b/c/d/.perms: Permission denied
...etc

from winCVS (and indeed from the command line).  I've seen lots of talk of
problems with .perms files on this list (usu. because someone's being denied
access to files), but is anyone else having the same problems?

I'm still able to do all the necessary cvs operations but I get all these
errors.  I'm using 1.11.1.3 b57d on both client and server, although the
repos were originally created with 1.11.1.2 and the messages only started
when I got a beta 1.3 cvs client.

There are no .perms files in my repos - should I do something special to
re-create my repos with the latest cvs server?

Any help gratefully received

thanks,

Dave