[Cvsnt] Re: CVSNT login pserver fails

Anthony Williams anthwil at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Jun 14 11:58:42 BST 2002

"Chitra Devi" <vchitradevi at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:20020614100955.18173.qmail at web13105.mail.yahoo.com...
> >> at step 10, while trying to login, I get
> >> an error and the message is
> >> cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server
> >> <server>: 0
>
> >That sounds like the client-side symptoms of the
> >server crashing that I
> >experienced --- is the server displaying lots >of
> "CVS.exe encountered an access violation" messages?
> >
> >If that is the problem, the solution is to update to
> >the current version
> >from CVS, or to use another protocol, such as SSPI.
> >
> >Anthony
>
> I had installed the latest version available.

I meant by extracting from CVS at cvs.cvsnt.org and building from source,
rather than the latest release build (57d) which still has the problem.

> The Program error message box says,
> "cvs.exe has generated errors and will be closed by
> Windows. You will need to restart the program.
> An error log is being created. "
> But I could not locate any error log file.

That's the error I was referring to. Never mind about the log file, it
doesn't really help.

> Both the client and server are the same machines. I
> have not tested with different client machine. Can we
> use ntserver protocol in case if we can't resolve the
> problem with pserver? Thanks,

You should be able to. SSPI works better than ntserver on win2k, in my
experience.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Software Engineer, Nortel Networks Optical Components Ltd