[Cvsnt] Editor problem using CVSNT 1.11.1.3 build 57d on Win2K

Anthony Williams anthwil at nortelnetworks.com
Mon Jun 17 11:26:20 BST 2002

"Anthony Williams" <anthwil at nortelnetworks.com> wrote in message
news:aekb76$20t$1 at sisko.nothing-on.tv...
> "Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nothing-on.tv> wrote in message
> news:pan.2002.06.14.22.04.11.750510.965 at nothing-on.tv...
> > On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:08:18 +0100, Craig Barkhouse wrote:
> >
> > > This is a multi-part message in MIME format. -- --
> > > [ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ] Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm using the console-based VIM as my preferred editor (I've got
"cvs -e
> > > vim" in my .cvsrc).  I'm having the following problem on Win2K.  When
> > > do a commit, my editor launches, but there is no output at all to the
> > > console.  Using blind keystrokes, I can quit my editor.  That's when I
> > > see the error message "Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal".
(Not
> > > sure why I see the error message only then, not earlier.)
> > >
> > OK I've tried with vim and it seems that if vim sees that it is talking
> > to a pipe (as it is in this case) it supresses its output, which isn't
> > very useful.  I've put in a workaround for this case.
>

> A related problem appears on Solaris clients --- they don't automatically
> invoke the editor (or maybe they do, but it just quits immediately), and
> consequently cvsnt displays "Log message unchanged or unspecified", and
> selecting "(e)dit" just repeats the prompt.

Just to expand:

run_exec (from src/run.c) starts the process, but determines its
finished-ness by the availability or not of output on stdout and stderr,
rather than using wait or waitpid. This means that if an editor such as
gnuclient is used which has minimal output, then cvs assumes the program has
finished before emacs has even loaded the file to edit.

Also, other programs (such as vi) don't like the redirection of input and
output, and exit with an error code.

Looking at the cvs log, this has been broken since march (src/run.c v1.7,
amusing labelled "unix fixes")

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Software Engineer, Nortel Networks Optical Components Ltd