[Cvsnt] Trying to get NTFS permissions correct

Gleske, Paul 6151 DUR HWS Paul.Gleske at us.heidelberg.com
Tue Jun 18 22:06:30 BST 2002

I'm getting the following error:

	C:\test>cvs co cvsroot
	cvs server: Updating cvsroot
	cvs [server aborted]: cannot stat c:/cvslock: No such file or directory

	C:\test>

I am running Win2K Server SP2 and Win2K Pro (as the client).  I am using :ntserver: to connect to the server (cvsroot=:ntserver:pcpcsvr1:/ProdPC).  On the server the repository prefix is C:\cvsrep, there is one repository called /ProdPC.  I have created c:\cvslock and c:\cvstemp and using the applet I set the temp folder to c:\cvstemp.

I have been trying to set NTFS security so that I can have CVSAdmins, CVSUsers and CVSGuests.  The CVSAdmins group has full control on the whole c:\cvsrep tree.  All three groups have full control over the c:\cvslock and c:\cvstemp trees.

When I connect using an NT account that is a member of CVSAdmins everything works OK.  I then added CVSGuests to the list of groups on the c:\cvsrep\ProdPC\CVSROOT folder, trying to allow read-only access there.  The above error is the result.

My real question here is what is the correct way to configure NTFS to allow different levels of access using ntserver as the login mode, and related, what does it look like to the client software when access is denied?  There are conflicting messages about use of passwd, readers and writers files, systemauth=yes (what is the default when the line is commented?).

I tried to get sspi to work, but to no avail.  I only need to run on the local network, or through our dialup VPN, so I don't know that I _need_ :sspi:.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

-pkg

Paul K Gleske

HEIDELBERG
121 Technology Dr