[Cvsnt] RE: branching and tags

Terris terris at terris.com
Wed Jun 19 22:28:33 BST 2002

The first question is insightful.  If you read my "programmers canvas" pape=
r at devguy.com, I recommend that developers always work from tags, even on=
 branches.  A tag implies that the code actually builds and does not contai=
n new code from somebody's partial check-in.  However, I do not enforce thi=
s because engineers are always going to do the easiest thing, and if there =
are problems they can always go backwards.  Tags are usually important when=
 there are two or more developers working on the same code.  At my current =
employer that is rare due to components.

Windows vs. Linux scalability is a religious topic.  I highly recommend bot=
h operating systems.  As with most things the question is not one of softwa=
re but of hardware and how well you take care of it.  People tend to abuse =
Windows machines, and Windoze tends to ask to be abused, with for example, =
ridiculous bloated programs like Microsoft Word and Outlook.

If you don't choose Windows, I hope that you will use cvsnt on Linux rather=
 than the vanilla CVS which is basically going nowhere.  CVSNT has some exc=
ellent features such as the ability to freeze branches.  Tony alone has str=
apped CVS on his back and walked up some very steep hills.  (well, I guess =
we followed him..)

Terris

PS, I use Windows 2000 because I like the tools and I like the fact that I =
can find the drivers I need quickly.  I know there are pros to Linux, such =
as "it's free," which is great if I have a Linux expert handy because I'm n=
ot.