[Cvsnt] errors accessing repositories on a network share through sspi

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Fri Jun 21 13:26:56 BST 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:17:57 +0100, Wagner, Dean wrote:

> I am having problems communicating to my repository on a network share.
> I know it has something to do with the userid and permissions to the
> network share, but I just can't figure out what my problem is. Hopefully
> someone can recognize the problem and help me out.

By default SSPI explicitly denies access to network shares.  This is a
security feature built into Win2k.  I strongly recommend not trying to
use a repository over a network share (for reasons discussed many times
elsewhere).  If you must, you need to give Security Delegation Privilige
to myuser* (for SSPI you can't just make up usernames, they must exist and
have login rights to the server, because the authentication is done at NT
system level not by cvs).

Tony

* Note that this is a security risk so you have to trust your users not to
abuse it.