[Cvsnt] Need some information to validate the product

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Fri Jun 21 13:30:10 BST 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:19:37 +0100, Brusset, Mathieu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use CVSNT 1.11.1.3 with WinCVS 1.2.
>
> I need more information about the official testing of these releases. In
> order to validate the product and to use it in my company, I would like
> to have more information about the technical testing that was done on
> 1.CVSNT 1.11.1.3
> 2. WinCVS 1.2

First question to ask:  Do you really want an opensource product or
would you rather pay for suppport?  Opensource is not 'free' in the sense
that it doesn't cost anything - you'll probably have to have someone
spend some time getting to know the product and collecting documentation,
helping to sort out problems, etc.

A commercial product will give you this as part of the purchase price,
along with certain quality guarantees.  If these are important to you
opensource is not the way to go (except when purchased via a third
party such as Redhat or IBM who will give these guarantees for a price).

However, if you're prepared to cope with the occasional teething
troubles, you'll find the support from existing users and developers
(both here and on the cvsgui group) is excellent.  Bugs usually get fixed
within a day or so (proper releases are less frequent - up to the whims
of the developer, but you can usually push for a new release if it's an
important fix for you).

Personally I write on Win2k & test in domain and standalone
configurations.  I also use cvsnt every day at work and any bugs tend to
get reported to my by my colleagues quite rapidly.  The core
functionality is used every day by hundreds (possibly thousands... never
counted) of users so is about as well tested as you can get.  However
bugs do slip through occasionally (such as when 57d triggered a crashing
bug in pserver - I couldn't replicate or produce it here so had to rely on
the help of others to nail it down).  You can minimise any risk by
waiting a few days after a release to see if anyone is complaining.  (Of
course if your installation is working already there is no need to
upgrade - if it aint broke don't fix it).