[Cvsnt] Questions about Bo's CVSMailer

Eric Weidl weidl at intersites.com
Wed Jun 26 16:03:55 BST 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to get Bo's CVSMailer utility up and running and I have a few
questions.

1) For the CVSNTPrefix initialization parameter, the readme says "when
CVSNT is set up with prefix this must be specified". What do we put if
CVSNT is not set up with a prefix? Blank seems to be working, but I'd like
to have confirmation.

2) The example cvsmailer.ini file has an initialization parameter named
'Recipient1'. This parameter isn't documented in the readme. What is it for?

3) There are Users listed in the CVSUsers section of the ini and in the
'CVSROOT/users' files. They also use different formats (e.g. in the readme,
it gives 'User1=bosse:"Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at somedomain.com>', while it
shows 'bosse:"Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at mydomain.se>"' as an example in the
users file).

Why are users specified in so many places? Which user is used when?

4) Another user question. How do I specify that only certain users should
get emails for certain projects? The way the readme is set up, it appears
that every "subscribed" user (whatever that is) gets emails on every
commit. I only want certain users to get emails when certain projects have
files committed. I think I could probably control this by setting regular
expressions in the loginfo file, but if someone could give me an example
with CVSMailer, I'd appreciate it. Part of my confusion on this stems from
my general confusion about the (seeming to me at least) multitude of places
where users can be specified in the configuration files.

5) The readme shows "ALL CVSMailer -l $USER $CVSROOT %{sVv}" as the entry
to add to the loginfo file to get emails sent when a file is committed.
What is the -l argument? I assume $USER is the CVS name of the user
committing the file, and $CVSROOT is the server CVSROOT. Is that correct?

6) I set the Sender and SenderName values in the ini file to be a valid
user on our mail server ("cvs at ourserver.ourcompany.com" and "CVS Robot",
respectively). When I checked the CVSMailer log, it seems that it is not
using that address when sending messages. Here's a slightly edited version
from the log file:

20020626 09:28:25 DEBUG: From (addr): me at somwhere.com
20020626 09:28:25 DEBUG: From (name): A Developer

Seems to me that CVSMailer is not using the account I specify to use in the
ini file.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric