[Cvsnt] NTServer protocol and localhost

Anthony Williams anthwil at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Mar 6 08:35:44 GMT 2002

"Bo Berglund" <bo.berglund at system3r.se> wrote in message
news:3c7f096e.788373 at news.cvsnt.org...
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:17:33 +0000 (UTC), "Anthony Williams"
> <anthwil at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to get the ntserver protocol working with localhost, or
> >local-machine-name, especially when not connected to a network?
> >
> >Anthony
>
> A comment on 'not connected to network':
> If you have a W2000 machine that is sometimes not connected to the
> network (=laptop), then you will find that W2000 just unloads the
> TCP/IP protocol completely and there is no more a localhost even. This
> happens immediately you pull the network cable out of the NIC
> socket.....
> After struggling a bit with this I installed as a second 'NIC' the
> Microsoft Loopback adapter. This is not dependent on the network cable
> being plugged in and forces TCP/IP to be loaded all the time. After
> that I have had no problem using CVSNT with my laptop's name in the
> connect string (:ntserver:computername:/repository).

How is your system set up? I tried the Loopback protocol (on NT4sp5), but
got "unable to open named pipe" with ntserver. pserver seemed to connect OK,
but all my users are aliases for domain users, and are rejected when not
connected to the network (even though I can log in using the same domain
user when not connected).

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Software Engineer, Nortel Networks Optical Components Ltd