[Cvsnt] Error reading from server localhost: -1

Greg Robertson x at x.com
Sat Mar 30 16:34:32 GMT 2002

Okay i've been troubleshooting the same problem for close to two weeks
now.  Using the latest build of CVSNT (or any build for that matter).
Whenever I try to login to the cvs server locally i get the error

C:\Program Files\CVS for NT>cvs login
Logging in to :pserver:gregrob at localhost:2401c:/source
CVS password: *******
cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server localhost: -1

if i login to a server not on localhost i can do so succesfully (which
followed the same steps as localhost).  Here is the output from
cvsservice -test

C:\Program Files\CVS for NT>cvsservice -test
CVS 1.11.1.3  (Build 57a) (Mar 13 2002) starting in test mode.
Adding repository C:/source
TEMP/TMP currently set to C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
Initialising socket...ok
Impersonation is enabled
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Starting named pipe server...
CVS initialised successfully
040467ec: Process 00000140 started
0404681e: Process 00000140 terminated

using ntserver mode i can connect succesfully but the application i need
to use (Eclipse from Eclipse.org) does not seem to support ntserver mode.
Just for the fun of it I ran apache on port 2401 to be sure it can accept
connections and it it more than capable.

To my knowledge no firewall is on this machine (it's a company laptop),
however NAV (Norton Anti Virus) is running (and there does not seem to be
an easy way to keep it from doing so).  This is a win2k box with SP2 and
it is up to date with all other microsoft patches.

Does anyone know what i can do to further narrow down the problem ?  i
will follow along in the newsgroup so there is no need for a valid email
address.

Thanks,