[Cvsnt] connect from Unix client to a CVSNT server...

Bertrand Denoix bertrand.denoix at kalimagroup.com
Thu Mar 14 13:24:46 GMT 2002

The <drive>: syntax is a pain. You may be lucky and use
":pserver:user at host://c/data/cvs".
But if you have a reasonably recent CVSNT version on the server (I'm on
1.11.1.3), it's a lot simpler to define a "repository prefix" (ie, a
directory on  your server under which all CVS repositories will be)
which is then considered as a virtual "root" directory.

For instance, on our server, the repositories are under
d:/cvs/repositories (for instance d:/cvs/repositories/sandbox,
d:/cvs/repositories/test). The repository prefix is defined as
"d:/cvs/repositories" and the CVSROOT variables (on NT, W2K, and our AIX
box) say: ":pserver:user at host:/sandbox", avoiding the "<drive>:"
problems altogether.

Another advantage is that you can move the repositories on the server
without having to change the CVSROOT variables all over, you only need
to change the repository prefix. On the other hand you have to keep all
the repositories on the same disk..