[Cvsnt] how to set up user-aliases ? - error when rebuilding admin files

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Mar 28 13:46:42 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:12:36 +0000 (UTC), "Matthias Mohr"
<MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>In the standard-installation of CVSNT and newly created
>repositories, there is no "passwd"-file in the CVSROOT-
>directory.
>I use a SystemAuth=yes in the config file.
>
>Now I wanted to setup aliases to the Windows-Users, so
>that the User can authenticate with other names which are
>mapped to a Windows-User.
>I already did this in Unix-CVS-Server and therefore I created
>a new passwd with following content:
>
>Test_Alias::WinUserName
>
>After add and commiting the file I added the passwd-File to the
>checkoutlist-file so that the server could use it (if I don't do that,
>the server does not know about the passwd file and also does
>not know about my aliases...)
>
>After committing the checkoutlist, the CVS-server tries to rebuild
>the administrative files and complains with following error:
>  cvs server: Rebuilding administrative file database
>  cvs server: passwd not valid in checkoutlist - skipping
>
>what am I doing wrong ?
>
>with regards,
>Matthias

You are rtying to open up a big fat security hole on the server!!!!
Anyone can check out this file and modify it to lock out everybody
else if it was allowed!
The passwd file is managed by the cvs passwd command and should not be
dealt with manually.

Bo

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)