[Cvsnt] how to set up user-aliases ? - error when rebuilding admin files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nothing-on.tv
Thu Mar 28 15:37:52 GMT 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:26:23 +0000 (UTC), "Matthias Mohr"
<MMohr at SysDesign-EDV.de> wrote:

>> You can still edit it directly on the server.   What you can *not* do
>> is make it part of the files that are managed by version control.
>You mean, I have don't have to add a passwd to the CVSROOT
>directory via "cvs add" ?
>Instead I have to go to my server and create a file "passwd" at the
>repository-directory at the  server ?
>I think this is not practical :-(
>And it is not like the unix-version of CVS works...

That is exactly how the unix version of CVS works.

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_2.html#SEC30

"Unlike many of the files in `$CVSROOT/CVSROOT', it is normal to edit
the `passwd' file in-place, rather than via CVS. This is because of
the possible security risks of having the `passwd' file checked out to
people's working copies"

Users can change their passwords with cvs passwd.  There is a unix
version of cvsnt if it's required, but normally with Unix CVS users
don't set their own passwords anyway, so they won't miss the
functionality.