[Cvsnt] Loginfo email using DOS batch files & utilities

Peter Brown pbrown at cs.umass.edu
Thu May 2 18:31:31 BST 2002

eric,

i don't know the answer to your question - i struggled with a similar
problem myself, but, fwiw, i just finished setting up the loginfo script
from devguy to do exactly this, and it works great!

http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvs_admin_nt.htm#loginfo

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Eric Weidl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to CVSNT. Installation went relatively smoothly and most
> everyone is happy.
>
> Now, people are asking if they can get email notification when a file is
> committed. I know I have to edit the /CVSROOT/loginfo file; no problem.
>
> I know there are several perl scripts out there to do just this job, but, I
> need to make it work using only DOS batch files and command line utilities.
>
> I've downloaded and installed BLAT
> <http://gepasi.dbs.aber.ac.uk/softw/Blat.html> to handle sending the email
> itself. Blat can take standard input by specifying the "-" parameter
> immediately after the command name.
>
> I've downloaded and installed David Tribble's cat for DOS
> <http://david.tribble.com/programs.htm>
>
> I created the following "notify_users.bat" file:
>
> blat - -to weidl at intersites.com -f cvs at intersites.com -s "CVS Test"
>
> for testing.
>
> My loginfo has the following entry:
>
> DEFAULT cat | notify_users.bat
>

> Whenever I commit a file, I receive an email, but the body is always blank.
> It would seem to me that the standard input isn't directed to Blat (or my
> batch file) properly.
>
> If I run the batch file from a command line (c:>cat sometempfile.txt |
> notify_users), it works correctly, that is, I receive the contents of
> sometempfile.txt in an email.
>
> I feel like I must be missing something simple, but I've been trying all
> kinds of alterations with no real difference in the results.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Eric

Peter Brown                 Senior Software Engineer
Dept. of Computer Science        140 Governors Drive
University of Massachusetts   Amherst, MA 01003-4610
Phone: (413) 577-2505            Fax: (413) 545-1249
pbrown at cs.umass.edu  http://www.cs.umass.edu/~pbrown