[Cvsnt] Removing Redundant Directories

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri May 10 16:42:19 BST 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002 15:10:13 +0000 (UTC), Paul Grenyer
<Paul.Grenyer at chorleys-communisis.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>I have folder within my repository which holds a project.
>
>This project now has some redundant folders, but I can't
>seam to remove them from the repository.
>
>I've looked in the CVS instructions and followed them as much
>as I can. Obviously I am doing something wrong. Can anyone help?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Regards
>Paul
>

>Paul Grenyer
>Software Development Engineer
>http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk

If you say that "project now has some redundant folders" you are
implying that these folders earlier were *not* redundant, right?
In that case you *should not* remove them from the repository because
if you want to go back to an earlier revision where they were not
redundant you will get an incomplete checkout!
What you *should* do is to cvs remove the *files* in the folders and
commit that change. This moves the files to the attic in the server
and if you then update your checked out copy with the flag to prune
empty directories they will be gone in your sandbox. And that is
really the only thing you need, what is hidden on the server to
support checkouts on older revisions is really not relevant.
If someone checks out the head of your project he will not get the
'redundant' directories either, because cvs per default does not
create directories on the client with no files inside.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)