[Cvsnt] Re: CVSNT error handling and Eclipse/WSAD branch browsing

Schmidt, Martin mschmidt2 at alldata.net
Sat May 25 01:59:04 BST 2002

Well, it looks like Eclipse 2.0 and the 57D server code may be a winning
combination.  The 57D code consistently writes the "E" error message, thus
fixing my first problem, but it still can't write the final "error"
response.  So the new server code still does not work with Eclipse R1.0 or
conform to the protocol document.  However, on testing it with Eclipse 2.0
F1, it appears that they have met you halfway and eliminated their
dependence on receiving the "error" response.  My testing so far shows the
57D server code and Eclipse 2.0 working fine together, though the new
Eclipse provides access to a lot more CVS functionality than the old one,
and it will take a while to try it all out.

The release version of Eclipse 2.0 is scheduled for the end of next month,
and rumor has it that the IBM flavor of it won't be too far behind -- by
fall, at least.  So it looks like you can probably file this one under the
"someday if I run into a popular client the expects strict compliance and
I've got nothing better to do" category.  Though it still looks like you
could comply pretty well by writing "error \n" just before exiting on abort
-- I had modified cvs_outerr so it could optionally write a message without
an "E" prefix, and I used it to write "error  \n" just before error_exit( )
is called in error(...).

Thanks for your help, and for providing CVS for companies with Unixphobia.
-Martin