[Cvsnt] How do I setup pserver?

Russel Harvey RusselHarvey at hotmail.com
Sat May 25 08:36:17 BST 2002

I took care the second problem by adding repository (initialise CVSROOT).

Still, I don't know how to create .passwd file as Win2K won't let me.

"Russel Harvey" <RusselHarvey at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:acncj4$q6q$1 at sisko.nothing-on.tv...
In this instruction from
http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvs_admin_nt.htm#pserver , (see below)
I've found some problem while installing CVSNT latest download 1.11.1.3.

1.  In item 2, the .passwd file, when I tried to create this file, Win2K
gives me error saying this is a illegal file name

2.  When I follow item 4, when I enter cvs -d :local:c:/cvs checkout
CVSROOT, it response with

cvs [checkout aborted]: c:/cvs/CVSROOT: No such file or directory

Please, any help is appreciated.

How do I set up pserver?

Thanks to Are Bjølseth

  1.. pserver requires NT4 SP6 or later (e.g., Windows 2000)
  2.. Create an empty file .passwd (yes, with the dot in front of passwd) in
the directory referenced by the HOME environment variable for the SYSTEM
user (or the user that runs he CVS service)
  3.. Decide whether you want to use domain passwords or CVS passwords.
Using CVS passwords protects your domain passwords since pserver transmits
passwords in an easily crackable format.
  4.. Update the config file in the CVSROOT module.  Change the line with
#SystemAuth=o to SystemAuth=es if you want to use domain passwords or
SystemAuth=o if you want to CVS to authenticate using the passwords in the
passwd file.
    a.. How to modify the config file:
    mkdir sandbox
    cd sandbox
    cvs -d :local:c:/cvs checkout CVSROOT
    cd CVSROOT
    edit the config file
    cvs -d :local:c:/cvs commit
  5.. If SystemAuth=o, create a passwd file in the CVSROOT directory
    a.. You must have access to the raw CVS repository files
    b.. The passwd file should never be checked into the CVSROOT module.
Just create the file passwd in the "raw" CVSROOT folder on the server.
    c.. The accepted formats of each line in the passwd file are as follows
(consult the CVSNT readme):
    <real-username>:<encrypted-password>
    <real-username>:!<domain>
    <cvs-username>:<encrypted-password>:<real-username>
    d.. CVSNT 1.11.1.2 build 39 and later allow the domain to appear before
the username, e.g., domain\username
    e.. If SystemAuth=o, use pwgen.exe to create  encrypted passwords i.e.
username:ByupzkOsayjuk
      a.. Note that there is no domain name
      b.. When SystemAuth=es, the password field is ignored
  6.. On client machines use the CVSROOT
  :pserver:username at tiger:c:/cvs
  7.. Clients should enter cvs login from the command line, or from WinCVS
before attempting any CVS commands
  8.. WinCVS 1.2 configuration:
  Admin->Preferences
  General Tab
  "Enter the CVSROOT:"
  :pserver:username at tiger:c:/cvs
  "Authentication": "passwd" on the cvs server
  "Use version": cvs 1.10 (Standard)
  From the Admin menu, select Login