[Cvsnt] Strange communication during update

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Fri May 31 14:31:04 BST 2002

Bo Berglund wrote:
> Why is my WinCvs sending such large amounts of data towards the server
> when I am doing an update and expecting to *get* information????

I have to assume you were updating more than a single file.  Your CVS client is
informing the server of the version info on all of the files in the current
sandbox, so the server can return the couple of files that have changed.
Remember that only the server knows which files have changed so the client must
document exactly what it already has before the server can respond with anything
new/changed.

I would expect commit would be the opposite; the client is needs to tell the
server which files have changed locally.  The only complication would be if the
server had a newer version as well, in which case the conflict resolution would
send changes in both directions.

John