[cvsnt] required access rights to the raw repository

Bernhard Weichel bernhard.weichel at online.de
Tue Nov 5 20:00:59 GMT 2002

"John Peacock" <jpeacock at rowman.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3DC81921.1020404 at rowman.com...
> Bernhard Weichel wrote:

> Tell us what you want to actually accomplish, rather than how you think
you need
> to go about accomplising it.  Normally, each user has their own sandbox
(checked
> out modules) and only interacts with the server process, which actually
updates
> the repository itself.

I describe the scenario in more detail:

1. we have a fileserver in which I want to place the raw repository as well
as a reference copy of the most recent version (for management which has no
sandbox). The file server is professionally backed up. So all project data
is maintained there. No application service is allowed on \\fs0007.

   \\fs007\myproject\CVS-repository\workproducts

   \\fs007\myproject\reference-copy

2. we will have an application server (called myappsvr) on which we will run
the CVSNT service. The fileserver shares are mapped to drives there:

   r: is mapped to \\fs007\myproject\CVS-repository

   Repository prefix is set to r:/CVS-repository

3. each developer has his sandbox, lets say on C:

   c:\myproject

   The project manager will perform CVS update on the reference-copy on a
regular basis (perhaps controlled by a scheduler. For this purpose, he will
als map

   x: will be mapped to \\fs007\myproject\reference-copy

   and maintain a readonly sandbox here for reference purposes.

4. because of the access policy, all project members have per default
read/write access to \\fs007\myproject and its descendant directories.there
is an NT group called myproject_team_members which controls the access to
\\fs0007\myproject. It is all controlled by a domain controller. No local
user accounts are used.

5. I want to make sure, that users do not use the raw CVS-Repository even if
it is visible in the myproject. They should use
              CVSROOT=:sspi:mappsvr:/workproducts
they shall not use
              CVSROOT=:local:\\fs007\myproject\CVS-repository\workproducts

6. I want that only the members of myproject_team_members may perform CVS
operations on the CVS service provided by myappsvr. But they shall not
manipulate files within \\fs0007\myproject\CVS-repository

How can I setup this?

Bernhard Weichel