[cvsnt] Is cvsnt stable for live environment?

Elliot Murphy elliot.murphy at veritas.com
Fri Nov 8 14:47:21 GMT 2002

We use CVS for many large development projects, including a CVSNT server
running on Windows 2000 that supports around 75 developers. We also have
automated bots that check out and build constantly, and  the server is quite
stable, even under that heavy load.

On the occasions where we have found problems, they were often already fixed
in the latest stable build. And I have never had corrupted files with CVSNT,
where I often did with VSS. Best of all, you aren't locked in to CVSNT - the
archive files can be transferred to a *nix server at some later date if you
desire. This is actually a pretty cool feature - we regularly replicate the
archives from a CVSNT server to a linux server, and it works great.

However, just because your clients are windows based does not mean that you
are required to run the CVS server on NT. All Windows CVS clients should be
able to connect to a unix based CVS server.

-elliot