[cvsnt] Re: CvsLock Server

Khaled Agrama kagrama at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 13 03:20:57 GMT 2002

I still get a dangling lock once in a while, forcing me to bounce the server
to make it go away.  I can't seem to figure out the conditions to reproduce
it though...

Khaled

"John Hall" <john.hall at optionexist.co.uk> wrote in message
news:mailman.1037029448.4102.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote:

> > For what is it used?
> > If we don't use reserved edits or locking files etc, do we still
> > need it?

> It handles the live locks (that stop two people trying to commit at
> the same time).
>
> I wrote it to get around the 'waiting for unknown users lock' error
> which can happen with the old FS locks.  It's also a lot safer on
> remote repositories, because you're not relying on the network
> filesystem synchronising its locking correctly.  As a side effect it
> seems to be a bit faster.

If I start to use the LockServer, will the server still work with older
clients or do I need to upgrade all the clients to the latest version.
Some people here are still using ntserver, and it is a bit of a pain to
have to go around and change everyone's cvsroot to use sspi (even with
the handy fixcvs.pl).

Cheers,
John