[cvsnt] Cannot add users to cvs

steinhoffc at schneider.com steinhoffc at schneider.com
Tue Nov 12 12:41:31 GMT 2002

I ran into the same problem. I got around it by creating a local admin
account on the box, I already had a Domain Id with admin rights to the box
but that didn't seem to be enough.

                                     Thanks
                                                Craig
Craig Steinhoff
UW-736
920-592-2229

                    KKolle at gkservi
                    ces.com              To:     cvsnt at cvsnt.org, cvsnt-admin at cvsnt.org
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    cvsnt-admin at cv       Fax to:
                    snt.org              Subject:     [cvsnt] Cannot add users to cvs

                    11/11/2002
                    03:21 PM

Hi friends,

I'm having a problem setting up users and I have some questions on CVS NT
security.
Here is my scenario:
(I'm using Win2000 server)

I installed CVSNT 1.11.1.3 (Build 57j). Here is a copy of the DOS command
window:
     C:\Documents and Settings\kkolle>set
     cvsroot=:ntserver:a0986:/test

     C:\Documents and Settings\kkolle>cvs passwd -a kkolle
     Adding user kkolle at a0986
     New password: ****
     Verify password: ****
     cvs [server aborted]: Only administrators can add users

I am in the Administrator group on the box. In this URL,
http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html#InstallSteps, there is
section titled "Administrating the repository, users with admin rights." I
manually created an admin file with kkolle as the only line in it.
I'm attempting to add myself as a user to CVSNT.
Do I have to be logged into CVS as the admin user of CVS? Or, is this
referring
to the admin group on NT?

I want to use NT authentication, but how can I add users initially if I
don't
know their NT password? Doesn't a user's password on the client (like
wincvs)
need to match the password on the server?
If so, when a user's nt password gets changed, how does the password file
on the
cvs server get changed to match the new password? Is there some
documentation on
this that I may have missed?

Will sspi ease my pains if I don't go with nt authentication? note: I don't
need
access to cvs outside of my network at this point, so I probably don't need
sspi
now.

I also found this post:
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2002-February/000532.html

Any good suggestions for a newbie installer of cvsnt?
Thanks in advance.