[cvsnt] Cannot add users to cvs

KKolle at gkservices.com KKolle at gkservices.com
Tue Nov 12 14:58:41 GMT 2002

Thank you Bo for the clarification on passwords!
To answer your question below, yes I did create that admin file, but after I did
that I received the same error below, "Only administrators can add users."
I'll try Craig Steinhoff's suggestion of adding another admin on the box.

Thanks!

                    Bo Berglund
                    <bo.berglund at t       To:     cvsnt at cvsnt.org
                    elia.com>            cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: [cvsnt] Cannot add users to cvs
                    cvsnt-admin at cv
                    snt.org

                    11/12/02 12:49
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to bo.berglund

First of all regarding how passwords are used with CVSNT:
Both protocols :ntserver: and :sspi: use the login to the PC as the
source of the password etc. They do not use the passwd file at all.
The discussion on passwd is solely confined to the :pserver: protocol,
which is needed as soon as you have a mixed setup where access to CVS
must be provided to both Unix/Linux clients and Winsows NT clients,
If you have a situation where you have only Windows NT clients you
have no use for the passwd file or command.
And every time a user logs in using ntserver or sspi CVSNT checks with
the domain or the users database on the local machine if the password
is OK, so changes in NT will immediately be reflected.

The preferred protocol for NT is :sspi:, :ntserver: is being phased
out because of its more complex communication using nemad pipes. In
contrast :sspi: uses sockets and therefore it can be routed easily
even over the Internet.

The admin file is used to define the user logins that are allowed to
do perform administrative tasks, such as creating pserver users (which
you don't need) and other chores. Therefore you need this to work.
But the check is case sensitive so you have to make sure that the
login you have on the NT box is spelled exactly the way it is in the
admin file. You don't say if the creation of the admin file actually
changed the way CVS responded, did you succeeed with your command in
this case?

/Bo

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:21:53 -0600, KKolle at gkservices.com wrote:

>Hi friends,
>
>I'm having a problem setting up users and I have some questions on CVS NT
>security.
>Here is my scenario:
>(I'm using Win2000 server)
>
>I installed CVSNT 1.11.1.3 (Build 57j). Here is a copy of the DOS command
>window:
>     C:\Documents and Settings\kkolle>set
>     cvsroot=:ntserver:a0986:/test
>
>     C:\Documents and Settings\kkolle>cvs passwd -a kkolle
>     Adding user kkolle at a0986
>     New password: ****
>     Verify password: ****
>     cvs [server aborted]: Only administrators can add users
>
>I am in the Administrator group on the box. In this URL,
>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html#InstallSteps, there is a
>section titled "Administrating the repository, users with admin rights." I
>manually created an admin file with kkolle as the only line in it.
>I'm attempting to add myself as a user to CVSNT.
>Do I have to be logged into CVS as the admin user of CVS? Or, is this referring
>to the admin group on NT?
>
>I want to use NT authentication, but how can I add users initially if I don't
>know their NT password? Doesn't a user's password on the client (like wincvs)
>need to match the password on the server?
>If so, when a user's nt password gets changed, how does the password file on
the
>cvs server get changed to match the new password? Is there some documentation
on
>this that I may have missed?
>
>Will sspi ease my pains if I don't go with nt authentication? note: I don't
need
>access to cvs outside of my network at this point, so I probably don't need
sspi
>now.
>
>I also found this post:
>http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2002-February/000532.html
>
>Any good suggestions for a newbie installer of cvsnt?
>Thanks in advance.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)