[cvsnt] Re: CvsLock Server

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Nov 14 14:58:42 GMT 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:28:48 -0800, "Khaled Agrama"
<kagrama at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Actually, I just ran into a case where a client's cvs process hung.  The
>process was left in that state for over an hour before it was killed.  This
>caused a particular directory on the cvs server to be locked for a long
>time.  When the client killed the cvs process, the lock finally went away.
>Does (or should) the lockserver apply some kind of timeout to locks?

Timeouts shouldn't be necessary.  CVS operations can take several
minutes (I could easily make one last several hours with the right
parameters).

I've not had any instance of the cvs process hanging for quite a while
now...  it can take a while to shut down (as it has to delete all its
temporary data) which can look like a 'hang' as it can take many
minutes depending on now fast the drive with the temp directory is.