[cvsnt] cvs.net started

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Nov 14 22:09:40 GMT 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:24:53 +0100, Anders Truelsen wrote:

> Good luck :-)
>
> I don't want to sound overly negative but I have a question though, why?
> What do you expect to achieve?
> And why don't you just add those wonderful features to CVSNT?

Seconded :-)

I always wonder what sort of design process people have gone through when
they say 'I'm going to write x in <insert wizzy new language here>'.
Clearly the OP hasn't developed a formal spec yet, so choosing a
language to write it in is premature to say the least!

The one thing .NET does well (network transparent RPC) is irrelevant to a
cvs implementation, which will have to speak the Client/Server protocol to
be taken seriously...  not to mention the complexities of replicating
things like GNU diff, zlib, etc.

For cross platform it's Java all the way... .NET, despite the hype, is
likely to be Windows only for the forseeable future (although in the
opensource world C/C++ is just as cross platform as anything else because
you have the source code..  bytecode interpreters are generally only an
advantage if you can't recompile).