[cvsnt] CVSNT server advice

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Nov 17 20:11:06 GMT 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:37:47 -0800 (PST), Dean Huynh
<deanbruin at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>   I'm a beginner and with Bo's help, I've been able
>to install everything.  I need some advice/tips on how
>the cvsnt server should be set up. Since I've only
>been doing test runs, I had it running off my
>workstation. Tell me if I got this right: I just
>launch the control panel applet and hit start, and
>don't touch the thing forever if there aren't any
>problems??? if this is the case, I guess I can't use
>the computer that the server's running off of. If I'm
>using a machine exclusively as an CVSNT server, should
>I assign the C: Drive to be the repository??? Any
>input/suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
>everyone. -Dean

First,
whatever machine you install CVSNT on you need to go through the setup
process and create repositories etc.
Then depending on your general requirements you need to decide if you
are going to use other protocols besides :ntserver: and/or :sspi:
If you plan on using W9x machines to connect rom then you must also
have pserver enabled, and in that case you must go through the pains
of maintaning the passwd file listing all accepted pserver users.

Advice (while lacking info on your exact setup):
- Use WinNT exclusively (NT4, W2000 or XP-Pro) as clients.
- use :sspi: as protocol (delete all other xxx_protocol.dll files
  from the CVSNT program folder. This disables all protocols aside
  from sspi.
- Create a partition on the server for *exclusive* use by CVSNT.
  This is where your repository and the CVSNT temp dir are located.
- Don't make any network shares on this partition at all!
  This forces all users to access the repository the correct way via
  the CVSNT service. The only allowed share is the $<driveletter> that
  is created by default for administrative and backup purposes.
- Install CVSNT on the server to a 'space-free' path, for example
  c:\programs\cvsnt. You can also use the CVS partition of course.
- If you are on a domain, then use the domain accounts and connect the
  CVSNT server to the domain. Otherwise you have to give all users an
  account on the server machine.
- Set up file permissions so that the CVS repository tree is only
  accessible by a special usergroup (CVSUsers), BackupOperators
  and SYSTEM.
- Obviously the CVS users must be members of the CVSUsers group.
- And you are correct: The CVSNT machine should be put aside as a
  server that *noone* actually uses as their workstation. Reasons
  are obvious: A locally connected user has access to the drive where
  the repository is stored, he can also do stuff that stops the PC
  from working properly, such as shutting it down etc.
  The PC does not need to be a server class PC though, workstation
  is fine.
- After all has been set up then you make sure the service is started,
  then lock the server into a secluded place and walk away...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)