[cvsnt] Re: Using InnoSetup?

Martijn Laan mlaan at nospam4me.cs.vu.nl
Mon Nov 25 18:48:42 GMT 2002

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:17:42 GMT, tmh at nodomain.org (Tony Hoyle) wrote:
>>The Pascal you have in mind and the Pascal used by Delphi and the
>>'addon' (it's not an addon) are very much different.
>>
>Ahh so it's delphi.  I was led to believe they had implemented a
>Pascal parser in the code

The compiler does contain it's own Delphi-like Pascal compiler and a
debugger too. The Setup-s only contain a small 'VM' that run the
compiled bytecode.

>- so presumably you need Delphi installed to
>run it, which brings me back to the '$2000 is a lot for a test'
>comment.

Ah, I see. No, you don't need Delphi. Only if you want to recompile
Inno Setup itself (the complete source is available).

>I can't find anything to handle services though (the mailing list
>suggestion was to call an extrernal app, which isn't what I had in
>mind).

There are various ways to handle services. With an external app as you
say (without the user noticing) or by directly using the Windows
services API if you use My Inno Setup Extensions. See
http://www.iaccarino.de/Silvio/downloads.htm for an example script.

Greetings,
Martijn Laan