[cvsnt] Clustering CVSNT?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Nov 29 12:54:25 GMT 2002

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:05:23 +0100, "Anders Truelsen"
<at at systematic.dk> wrote:

>Hi folks
>
>I'm looking into the possibilities of running CVSNT on a Win2K cluster
>to get improved reliability.
>The setup would be an Active/Passive one, that is, no load-balancing but
>automatic fall over.
>There hardware would be something along the lines of two 'pizzaboxes'
>with system and program files on local disks and data on a shared
>external RAID box.

For HA you're probably looking at something like a SAN for the
storage..  just sharing drives (especially over Netbios) is probably
worse than having a single machine, whereas things like SANs are
designed for handling multiple clients so I'd trust the data integrity
much more (although if one machine is sitting idle most of the time
that's less of an issue).

OTOH a good single machine + a good UPS will probably give you enough
uptime for most cases...  CVSNT availablility doesn't have to be that
high, provided people can update/commit reasonably regularly.