[cvsnt] admin command permission denied

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Nov 29 20:51:40 GMT 2002

Well,
the documentation is a bit obscure. I got my info in a few newsgroup
threads earlier on when Tony stepped in and clarified how it operates.
So the userlogins entered here will define who are allowed to run
administrative commands on the CVS server.
There seems to be problems to get admin priviliges without this when
running sspi and ntserver on NT domains and under Active Directory
even for logins thta have admin priviliges on the domain and/or the
server PC.
But I have not seen this myself, at home I don't have a domain but I
do at work and it still works. I don't see a straight line of
understanding here...

A somewhat related issue is the way you can limit access to CVSNT by
using the passwd file. This file is normally not used outside the
pserver protocol, but additionally also sspi and ntserver reads it if
the SystemAuth config switch is set to No. Then passwd if existing
will define who gets access. If SystemAuth=Yes then passwd is
disregarded.

/Bo

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 19:28:04 GMT, mlaan at nospam4me.cs.vu.nl (Martijn
Laan) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:28:07 +0100, Bo Berglund
><Bo.Berglund at system3r.se> wrote:
>>Create a new file named admin in the CVSROOT directory of your repository.
>>Then add the login names for each person that you want to be able to administrate
>>the CVS server to this file (each on a separate line).
>>This file is not under version control so you must put it there manually.
>
>Interesting. Is this documented somewhere?
>
>Greetings,
>Martijn Laan

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)