[cvsnt] Strange behaviour of cvs export command

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Oct 10 08:57:03 BST 2002

I am trying to create a setup generation system where we would have a PC dedicated to
build the setups on. I planned on using the cvs export command in a batch file to extract
the needed files for the setup from CVS, then run the setup tool to produce the installation
files and then finally erasing the files used.
The batch file would be stored in CVS along with the module and the setup engineer would
be directed to use the following sequence:
1) Get the setup batch file from CVS using another batch file located on the setup PC
2) Run the setup batch file to get the needed files (from several places in the CVS repository)
3) Run the setup tool to create the installation using these checked out files
4) Copy the result to the production area of the file server
5) Delete the working files as they are no longer needed

I planned to use the cvs export command to get the files out but I have a problem here, because
the export command does not seem to work correctly...
(I am running CVSNT b57g on both client and server)

Here is the batch file I have created for my tests:

set CVSROOT=:sspi:welebobe:/test
cvs export -r HEAD -d files CVSROOT/loginfo
cvs export -r HEAD -d files AdamTest/AdamTest.exe
cvs export -r HEAD -d files AdamTest/AdamTest.dof

Since I only have one module imported to my test server I have specified one file from CVSROOT
and two from the module as a test.

What happens is expected for the first export command, the files dir is created and loginfo gets
exported into it. Then the next file too arrives into the files folder, but now the strange thing happens
that the files folder is converted into a sandbox by the creation of a CVS subfolder.
And then the third export fails because you cannot export into a sandbox. Here is the output from
running the batch file:

C:\3RProj\Test\Slask>set CVSROOT=:sspi:welebobe:/test

C:\3RProj\Test\Slask>cvs export -r HEAD -d files CVSROOT/loginfo
U files/loginfo

C:\3RProj\Test\Slask>cvs export -r HEAD -d files AdamTest/AdamTest.exe
U files/AdamTest.exe

C:\3RProj\Test\Slask>cvs export -r HEAD -d files AdamTest/AdamTest.dof
? files/loginfo
cvs [export aborted]: cannot export into working directory

I had the impression that export actually should NOT create a sandbox, why does this happen here?

Bo Berglund