[cvsnt] Re: Repository suddenly not accessible CVSNT 1.11.1.3

Koen no at ssppaamm.com
Thu Oct 10 10:09:35 BST 2002

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:ao1mk9$ud3$1 at sisko.nodomain.org...

> > But I do have cygwin installed, and that one needs a $HOME environment
> > variable... Could that have something to do with it?
> >
> On NT the Home is retrieved from the domain controller.  Presumably
> someone has changed the permissions on your Home directory so that cvs
> can't read it any more.

Well, it seems like that is not what causes this malfunction....
I've done some testing (don't like these kind of weird things, and I'd like
to know what's going on, so...), and I'm now able to reproduce the behavior.
To sketch the situation:
- my computer is a Win2K machine (SP3) on an NT domain (it is not the domain
controller however, just a normal workstation)
- I have CVSNT 1.11.1.3 build 57h installed and running on the machine
- I have TortoiseCVS 1.0.2 installed and running on the machine as CVS
client (always using pserver protocol)
- I also have Cygwin installed (development using GNU tools in a Linux-like
environment)
Now, before I had Cygwin installed, I didn't have HOME environment variable.
After following the installation instructions for Cygwin, I have set the
HOME environment variable to my home dir (D:\Koen).
Now, that's in fact where trouble begins.
As long as I don't reboot the machine, I have no trouble checking out stuff
from the repository.
Also, if I stop and restart the two CVSNT services (CVS and CVS Locking),
all is still working.
But after I reboot the machine, I get the errors I mentioned.
When I then remove the HOME variable again, the problem is not solved.
Again, even when I stop and restart the CVSNT services, the problem is not
solved.
Only after I reboot, things are back to normal again.

So, what does CVSNT use this HOME var for?
And do you think there is a way to use a HOME var for Cygwin without
disturbing CVSNT's functionality?

Hope this helps?

Koen

PS
I also noticed the following in my quest for a solution: apparently, a
.cvspass file is never created. I was looking for the file to clear it (you
never know), but couldn't find it. So I thought "the only way of remembering
my password would be to store it somewhere in the registry then", and
indeed, I saw that my historic checkouts were kept in the registry now. I
guys moved it in the registry now, and the .cvspass is never used again?