[cvsnt] Strange behaviour of cvs export command

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Oct 10 20:55:08 BST 2002

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:25:04 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:

> Tony already found and fixed that bug (in client.c) so now my cvs
> export commands work almost as expected.
> The remaining bug I found is that if I give a command like this:
> cvs export -r HEAD -d files Module/File1.txt Module/File2.txt
> then the result is that these files wind up in files/Module just as if
> I had specified the -N switch (which I didn't).
> I can live with this bug by creating a cvs export command for each
> file I want to get out, thuis preventing the folder expansion.
> (it is still a bug though)

It appears to be designed that way, although it's not documented outside
the source:

(checkout.c)
    /* If we've specified something like "cvs co foo/bar baz/quux"
       don't try to shorten names.  There are a few cases in which we
       could shorten (e.g. "cvs co foo/bar foo/baz"), but we don't
       handle those yet.  Better to have an extra directory created
       than the thing checked out under the wrong directory name. */

I'm not quite sure of the meaning of the comment...  I think they're
saying it's incorrect to export two module directories into the same
directory... however if that's what you've told it to do I don't see the
problem.