[cvsnt] Re: cvsnt on WinXP

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Oct 12 11:20:05 BST 2002

I don't agree with this 8.3 stuff. It is not needed if you do it right
from the start.
And if you follow my installation tips document below you will not
have these problems at all.
Among the main things to look out for during CVSNT setup is:
1) DON'T let the installer save the CVSNT files to a path with
embedded spaces! It is sure to sooner or later break the system.
Instead manually select a directory like c:\programs\cvsnt
(Tony: Can't you set the default somewhere else but in Program Files?)

2) The temp dir MUST be located outside "Docuemnts and Settings"! The
best way is to create a special temp for CVSNT like C:\CVSTEMP
(Tony: The Installshield setup should create and set up this so the
users don't get confused)

3) The temp dir thus created MUST have full access for SYSTEM. This is
not on by default so you have to add it. Right click the folder,
select properties then security and you will see where to add SYSTEM.

4) Don't ever place the repository into a path with embedded spaces or
on a network share! Will not work properly.

Here is the link to my information page:

http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html

/Bo

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:55:16 +0300, Serge Skrokhodov <lbyf at medit.ru>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've installed cvsnt 1.11.1.3 build 57i on my notebook under
>Windows XP Home Edition. Unfortunately, the test system had
>problems: sspi autorization didn't work due to no permission to
>standard TEMP directory from current user environment and pserver
>had problems due to no permitions to repositary:(
>
>Unfortunately, I've failed to find out how to change permissions
>on WinXP:( I haven't done all the required RTFM though:) The only
>way I did find is to move both TEMP directory for cvsnt service
>and repository into so called 'Shared Documents' Windows XP folder:)
>
>Unfortunately, the full path name of this folder is 'c:\Documents
>and Settings\All Users\Documents' and I wouldn't like to
>experiment with changing this. It's obvious that this doesn't
>work if the path names are not converted into 8.3 format.
>
>OK, now my suggestion. All dialogs in CVSNT Control Panel applet
>get and store _full long paths_. So cvsnt server returns all
>possible kinds of strange errors (like 'and is not a valid
>command'). The only way to set correct pathnames is to edit
>registry manually:(
>
>Thanks for reading so far:) My suggestion is simple: let all the
>dialogs in cvsnt Control Panel applet get and store short 8.3
>pathnames!
>
>Thank you!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)