[cvsnt] Beginner questions

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Fri Oct 18 06:17:14 BST 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:13:08 -0700, Adam Grayson
<adam at searchextreme.com> wrote:

><x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
>I have so far been able to install the newest version of CVSNT onto our
>Win2K server, and with the help of the installation tutorial have been
>able to create a repository (d:/cvsrepo/se) and users for that
>repository. I have also installed the newest WinCVS client on my machine.
>Please bear with me, as I have never really worked with CVS before. This
>task has been dumped on my head and I'm trying to do the best I can to
>get it done.<br><br>
>We have an existing website on the same drive (d:/...../www), with about
>150 ASP scripts. Basically what I want to is to have CVS manage those
>scripts. It appears everything is set up right, but here comes the
>ignorant questions. First of all, can I leave the scripts in their
>current directory, or do they have to be in the repository. How do I add
>each script to CVS as a module (I tried with some tutorial I found, but
>it wouldn't seem to work.<br><br>
>For example, the first script I can test on is d:/..../www/index.asp. How
>can I get to the point where I can edit it via WinCVS on my
>machine.<br><br>
>Thanks for the patience<br>
>Adam</html>

What you need to do is the following:
1) Use the Import command to get your files into CVS
This will create a 'module' in CVS with the name www or something
other you want to decide on. Note that this is completely separate
from anything you may use normally, all files will be stored as RCS
files containing all version data.

2) Then check out this new module to a 'sandbox' (CVS lingo for a
working file set, a copy of the CVS module). This sandbox is located
in another place on your hard disk. At the same time the module can be
checked out to another developers own hard disk (or several other
developers for that matter). This is what CVS is all about really.

3) In your sandbox you may edit these files to your delight and when
you are done you commit your changes back to CVS.

4) If you want the changed files to reflect back to your web server
there are several tools that can do that. What is needed here is that
an action is triggered on the commits (not depending on who commits a
change), which means it is a server side action.
The action itself will export the new files out to your server's
active folder and are then visible to the website.