[cvsnt] Re: surprising stubborn behavior on commit and unedit

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Oct 18 08:53:01 BST 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:43:55 +0200, Olaf Groeger wrote:

> The idea behind "edit" was that some guys are afraid of merging and asked to
> be notified, when someone else is working on "their" files. So i setup cvs
> email notfication and told them to use edit. (Did i already mention that we
> used SourceSafe before ?)

You can use 'edit -c'/'commit -c' in that case.  It's rather a suboptimal
way of working but if you're stuck with it... There are other source
control packages that do that kind of thing a lot better, though.

>> In the first case it sounds like the files weren't committed because they
>> were identical to what was already in the repository.
> They had a different timestamp, but were possibly identical in byte code.
> What is the definition of identical in cvs for binaries ?

The same as for text files - it does a diff and if there's nothing changed
doesn't bother creating a new version.  For binary files currently the
check is just 'are these files identical'... it doesn't store binary
deltas.