[cvsnt] Subdirectories in the CVS root

Eric Weidl ejw at intersites.com
Tue Oct 22 19:44:52 BST 2002

Hi,

> > My project development directory structure looks something like:
> >
> > /dev/client_a/web
> > /dev/client_b/web
> >
> > If I import both client's web projects into CVS, there is only one /web
> > directory created under the CVSROOT.
> >
> > Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions about how I can set up CVS
> > allow me to have multiple projects with the same name?
>
>Why not simply import /dev/client_a/web as client_a/web and
>/dev/client_b/web as client_b/web ? That would be pretty straight-forward.
>Or is there a specific reason you want these two modules to be root-level
>modules?

I don't want them to be root level modules. I want them to be "sub-modules".

When I import /dev/client_a/web then /dev/client_b/web, I get 1 module in
CVS named "web". That is the problem. I do not want one, I want two.

>Alternatively, import /dev/client_a/web as client_a_web and
>/dev/client_b/web as client_b_web and then add the following entries to your
>modules file:
>
>client_a_web_module -d client_a/web client_a_web
>client_b_web_module -d client_b/web client_b_web
>
>Now, checking out the modules client_a_web_module and client_b_web_module to
>/dev will restore your original directory structure. This is admittedly a
>terribly silly example and I wasn't very imaginative with the naming either
>but I think you get the idea...

Yes, I think I do. Clunky, but it might work.

>In any case I think the first approach should be the better one in your
>case.
>

>All that said: no it's not possible to have sibling modules with identical
>names. How should that work? A.

By having CVS not require each module be in the root of it's CVSROOT.

>The repository is just a plain file system and B. how would you tell them
>apart?

How does Windows tell

         /dev/client_a/web

apart from

         /dev/client_b/web

?

By keeping them in sub-directories.

>Hope this helps.

Yes, a bit. Looks like I'll have to look into the modules file.

Thanks.

Eric