[cvsnt] Can't create a .cvsignore in Windows

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Oct 30 11:46:34 GMT 2002

Windows does accept a file with that name, but the normal tool for
creating and maintaining text files (Notepad) does not allow filenames
of that kind. It believes the file is only an extension and asks for a
true name before the period. Same with Windows Explorer if you try to
rename the file.
But from a command window it is easy:
Create a file with notepad as cvsignore.txt
then on command prompt:
ren cvsignore.txt .cvsignore

Done!

/Bo

Pedro,

> Apparently windows doesn't like file that start with dots, thus I
> can't create a .cvsignore file.
>
> How can I ignore a given filename on a per directory basis? (the -I
> option and the CVSIGNORE env var work for all dirs, right?)

What version of Windows is this? Windows 2000/XP definitely do allow
files beginning with a .

regards,
John