[cvsnt] cvsnt & Eclipse

Avery Regier ajregier at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 2 04:32:45 BST 2002

Hello,

I am attempting to get CVSNT to work well with the Eclipse development
environment for my team to use.  Eclipse as a client has only three
protocols built in: pserver, ssh, and ext.  All of our team are working
on Windows 2000 boxes.  I had it working ok with pserver using NT
network logins when the server was in the same domain as the clients.
Due to some changes the network admins needed to make, the server is no
longer in the same domain as the client, and I cannot for the life of me
get authentication to work.

Check that:  it did work for a little while for some users.  That is,
until they connected to a network share on the same box!  Before
connecting to the share it works fine.  After connecting (even if you
are no longer connected to the share) you can never get pserver to work
again.  I see the same behaviour outside of eclipse using the normal
cvsnt client in pserver mode.  I've tried every combination of
configurations I can find.  I've tried using the domain\user syntax that
the documentation says should work and it just won't.  I've given the
SYSTEM account permissions up the wazoo.  All through this ntserver and
sspi modes work fine, but they aren't available from pserver.

As a temporary measure so that the team could continue work I moved the
cvs server onto a local workstation that is in the same domain.
However, Eclipse is constantly relogging in to the cvs whenever it does
an operation and the authentication takes a good 30 seconds on this
workstation.  It is not a good situation.

(If anyone has any ideas to fix the problems above, I would love to hear
them.)

So...

Considering that ntserver access is smoking fast compared with pserver
and sspi works as well, I'd like to build an Eclipse plugin that uses
ntserver or sspi or both and contribute it to the CVSNT project.  I've
figured out how to do the Eclpse side of things, but the cvsnt code is
rather confusing.  I'm not sure if the 'protocols' directory contains
the server side protocols, the client side protocols, or both.  What I'd
like to do is build a JNI module that bridges the existing ntserver or
sspi client C code.

I'm also having troubles getting the cvsnt code to compile within the
Eclipse C environment.  (I'm using MinGW.)  It seems to you have to run
the configure script to get a good makefile, but you can't run configure
without sh.  I could use Cygwin, but I don't want what I compile to be
dependent on Cygwin.

If you could give me any pointers, encouragements, discouragements, or
2x4s over the head it would be appreciated.

Regards,
Avery J. Regier