[cvsnt] Anyone got :gserver: working from Linux to Win2K ?

Jon Rabone jon.rabone at criticalblue.com
Tue Sep 17 17:07:37 BST 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to get Linux CVS clients working against a Windows 2000 CVS
server. Both systems are running cvsnt. The Windows box is also the only
domain controller.

Has anyone got :gserver: working from Linux to Windows 2000? I don't
know enough about Kerberos setup to know what I need to do on the Win2K.
I can run kinit and klist on the Linux side, and I appear to get a valid
ticket:

-------------

jonr at gemini:~$ kinit
Password for jonr at EDI.CRITICALBLUE.COM:
jonr at gemini:~$ klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_1005
Default principal: jonr at EDI.CRITICALBLUE.COM

09/17/02 17:01:38  09/18/02 03:01:38
krbtgt/EDI.CRITICALBLUE.COM at EDI.CRITICALBLUE.COM

Kerberos 4 ticket cache: /tmp/tkt1005
klist: You have no tickets cached

jonr at gemini:~$

-------------

However, cvs doesn't like it:

jonr at gemini:~$
jonr at gemini:~$ cvs -d :gserver:aquarius:/d//cvs/Sample version
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 1.11.1.3  (Build 57f)
(client/server)
Server: cvs [version aborted]: connect to
aquarius(aquarius.edi.criticalblue.com):24841 failed: Unknown error
jonr at gemini:~$

Why is it trying to connect on port 24841? I thought gserver lived on
2401 ?
I tried

   cvs -d :gserver:aquarius:2401/d//cvs/Sample version

but that didn't work either (same  Unknown error).

What do I need to do to make this work?

In a Kerberos interop white paper, MS talks about adding users in Active
Directory but don't specify whether they mean the "AD Users & Computers"
or "AD Sites & Services" snap-in.

I know nearly nothing about Kerberos, and all the CVS docs say helpful
things like "gserver is beyond the scope of this document" and "see a
Kerberos expert". Seems to me Kerberos is so complicated there just
AREN'T enough experts to go round!

My Linux user is using PAM-LDAP to authenticate against the same Windows
server, if that's relevant (probably not).

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jon.