[cvsnt] Notify keywords

Ian Epperson Ian at axiomdesign.com
Thu Apr 3 21:25:25 BST 2003

Here where I work, we've got a handful of repositories and hundreds of
modules in those.  Company policy is to have watch enabled on everything
(sigh, still trying to get that changed), and a handy piece of that is
notifications.

Several of us have added ourselves to notifications for when people work in
projects we may be interested in.  (I'm lead on several, It's quite handy to
know whose doing what on those).

So, here's the question:  Is there a keyword expansion within the notify
file (script?) that gives me a the name of the module that I'm being
notified about?

Our current notify looks like this:
ALL blat - -to %s at axiomdesign.com -replyto $USER at axiomdesign.com -s "CVS
notification"

So, on any given day, I'll get between 5 and hundreds of e-mails with
nothing in the subject to indicate what project it pertains to.  Project
name = module name.

This info appears as the first field of the passed data, and I suppose I
could write a script to parse it and pass it into the subject, but it would
be much easier as a keyword.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that
cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong
goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

   -Douglas Adams