[cvsnt] CVS - Handling, State of the Art ?

Rebhan, Gilbert Gilbert.Rebhan at huk-coburg.de
Fri Apr 4 09:06:26 BST 2003

Hi,

we're playing with cvsnt about 1 week now, i've searched
a lot of docs and tutorials, but still some questions remain,
hope i'll get some advice here :

- when trying to remove a directory out of the repository on
  servermachine via commandline i always get a '... checkout first'

Do i have to setup a workspace/sandbox on server also to get the
commands running ? (i've logged in as admin via pserver)

- what is best practice when starting with a repository ?

Every time i get new files from developers, taging as a new version ?
Also creating a branch with every new version ? (as taged files cannot
be altered anymore) ?

- some developers here are still running VisualAge, since there is no
  official (i know there's a project on sourceforge though) cvs-plugin,
  they deliver their new files via filesystem. We take the files in
  workspace of eclipse and get them in repository. We make a version
  and when there are new files, we get them in workspace, check them in
  repository (Head, main trunk) and tag them as new version

Good practice under that circumstances or is there a better solution ?

- when runnning cvsnt under Windows 2000

Is it also possible to automatically inform about commits ... via mail, how
do i include outlook 2000 in that mechanism ?

- when testting is over, we want to run our cvs-server under Unix (AIX)

Is it possible to copy a respository from Win 2000 to AIX, without losing
data ?

Hope i' ll get response this time, as i got no answer on my recent postings ...
Maybe my english is too bad ?!

Regards,
        Gilbert