[cvsnt] update -p option over binary files

Jerzy Kaczorowski jerzyk at wndtabs.com
Tue Apr 8 15:15:15 BST 2003

>Not sure why you'd want to
> though - -p is for displaying on the console... not something you'd want
to do
> with a binary file.
>
> Just use checkout for that.

Basically the use of "update -p" is the only way to get given revision of
the file without making it sticky and creating the sandbox. WinCvs is using
it for "external diff" and "retrieve revision" commands. Personally I would
like to use the checkout or rather export for that, but it bails off saying
that I have to specify the symbolic tag.

I can not checkout or export the file specifying the revision (for no good
reason IMHO), so we have only the "update -p" left.

Alternatively it would be nice to be able to specify the output file for any
cvs command so we would not have to perform all that trickery.

Anyhow, I am solving the issue which originates from cvsgui protocol bug
right now so the problem will be gone soon hopefully.

Best Regards,
Jerzy