[cvsnt] Re: cvs checkout -d broken in 2.0.0?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Apr 11 12:16:30 BST 2003

On 11 Apr 2003 10:24:50 +0200, Oliver Koltermann <okoltermann at gmx.de> wrote:

>So when there are further hairy changes needed to get back to the
>stable state, I think this should go on in the development version. I
>was really happy about the new version numbering scheme just
>startet. It brought back the kind of safe feeling about a release. I
>lived through the up's and down's of the 1.11.1.3 builds and always
>hated the decision "Is it better to update or does this introduce new
>problems?".

All new versions will theoretically bring risks... in theory in a stable
branch they should be far fewer.  Increasing the version number and declaring
a 'stable' release massively increased the userbase of the new code overnight,
which has brought out a number of problems that didn't get found simply
because the people using the code didn't use that particular feature.

Historically, .0 releases have been problematic precisely because of this.
It'll get better though as more fixes go in.