[cvsnt] Feature request: Commitable tags

Tuomas Huhtanen tuomas.huhtanen at vertex.fi
Mon Apr 28 13:47:10 BST 2003

Oliver Giesen wrote:
> The downside of this approach is that whenever I make changes to the generic
> (i.e. non-customized) reports on the trunk I have to either merge those
> changes to each individual branch (for those reports that are customized) or
> move the customer branch tags to the new HEAD (for those without
> customisations). I know that that last step is a bit of a dirty hack but
> fact is that less than 10% of the reports are customized, the rest is
> identical for all customers (and identical to the generic trunk reports). If
> I always created branch revisions for those reports I would get a hell of a
> lot of duplicated revisions. If I understood your request correctly, this
> moving of the branch tag could happen automatically with your approach, no?

Sort of. The branch tags would not move anywhere, but the pointer tags
"on top" of them would. So in your case, you wouldn't have a branch for
each customer, but this writable tag. Only when you get some customized
files, you would create branch for those individual files.

But as Tony suggested, the -f might work for you in this case. The only
thing is that once you have checked it out with some branch, it stays
there unless you take a clean checkout again. So if for example you have
  created a branched document, check it out, then later modify the main
document so that there is no need for the branch doc, the -f scheme
would not work. The writable tag would recover that situation just fine.

One other situation where the -f would not be sufficient is that if you
need multiple levels of branches. Again, the writable tags would handle
that without a problem.

Tuomas