[cvsnt] Feature request: Commitable tags

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Apr 28 17:07:41 BST 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:46:27 +0100, "Max Bowsher" <maxb at ukf.net> wrote:

>Tony Hoyle wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:47:10 +0300, Tuomas Huhtanen
>> <tuomas.huhtanen at vertex.fi> wrote:
>>
>>> But as Tony suggested, the -f might work for you in this case. The only
>>> thing is that once you have checked it out with some branch, it stays
>>> there unless you take a clean checkout again. So if for example you have
>>>  created a branched document, check it out, then later modify the main
>>> document so that there is no need for the branch doc, the -f scheme
>>> would not work. The writable tag would recover that situation just fine.
>>
>> No it wouldn't - once you've branched you can't 'un branch' because that
>> would be changing history.
>
>You can't unbranch, but you can set the writable tag back to the parent
>branch.

That's different - it's just moving a tag.. you can do that already.  That's
not what is being said above - it's saying if you make a document that is the
same as the root the branch tag magically disappears, which isn't practical
(it's also pointless - it saves you zero effort and is very counterintuitive).

Basically, writable tags are branches, and I've yet to see any justification
for trying to confuse the issue by changing the definition of 'tag' to mean
'branch'.  They're for separate things, and should be kept so.