[cvsnt] Using TagInfo

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed Apr 30 14:57:42 BST 2003

>From a version of CVSNT in the 1.11.1.3b57xx series the taginfo
format was changed.
>From this version the data (file-tag pairs) are sent on StdIn
instead.
The reason was that I discovered that if a windows program was
called on the taginfo line then the start would crash if the tag
was done on a directory with a large number of files with long names.
We had a module containing some 250 files with rather long names.
The net effect of this was that the command line grew to some 8k
in length and then Windows crashed the process start.....
This in turn made the tag operation fail too.

By moving to StdIn this has been solved, there are no real limits
that we know of in the length of data sent on StdIn.
Apart from this the format stayed the same.

Good luck!

/Bo