[cvsnt] Win2k Processor Usage Spirals Out of Control

Chavous P. Camp ccamp at scconsultants.net
Fri Aug 1 18:57:02 BST 2003

Greetings,
Has anyone seen an issue where cvs.exe starts eating up 100% of the
processor for long periods of time for simple commit operations?

We're running version 2.08 on Win2k SP3.  The machine has plenty of RAM,
proc speed etc.

Occasionally, cvs.exe gets spawned and freaks out, nearly taking the
system down.  I have yet to be able to PERSONALLY reproduce it, but my
employees report it to me approximately once per day.  Today, I had 3
cvs.exe processes, all fighting for the same (100%) share of the
processor pie.

Here's what we have turned on:
Server Side Support for ntserver
Impersonation Enabled

Temp Dir: C:\winnt\temp
CVS Server port: 2401
Lock Server port: 2402
Encryption: Require
Compression: Optional

CVSROOT/config looks like:
LockServer=localhost:2402
LogHistory=no
AtomicCommits=no
RereadLogAfterVerify=yes

We >are< running on a domain, and CVS is authenticating off of that.

I do have CVSWEB installed on that machine as well, but I >think< it is
only happening on on commits.

As a rule, we use the sserver protocol with TortoiseCVS. We have 7 or so
folks using CVS, but RARELY are more than one of them in at any given
time.

If there is any other info you need from me that you think will help,
let me know.

Thanks,

Chavous

-----