[cvsnt] Win2k Processor Usage Spirals Out of Control

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Aug 4 11:44:31 BST 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 06:28:42 -0400, "Chavous P. Camp" <ccamp at scconsultants.net>
wrote:

>The problem is it doesn't go away after time.  They turn into energizer
>bunny processes.  And, really, we aren't committing that large of files.
>They are all text files (source code) less than 100k.  Doing a quick
>sample, the largest ,v file I see is 54k.  Okay, wait a sec.  Some folks
>uploaded some binary files running around 100-150k, but still - nothing
>in the megabyte range. Our entire repository is only 12.5M and only has
>1800 files, for an average of somewhere around 7k per file, if I'm
>calculating correctly.

That shouldn't be a problem... you can get away with a few MB befire you'll
notice any load problem even on a smallish machine.  It's 10s and 100s of MB
that start to scale badly.

>The other thing is, the client has LONG disconnected while the processor
>is still spiraling...

The only other thing I can think of is an old sserver problem that was fixed a
few versions ago.  The current devel version is even more bulletproof so I can
merge those changes into the release if it's still causing a problem.

>At first I thought it was the atomic commits, but I turned those off
>long before posting to the list.  THEY caused other problems. :)

Atomic commits don't work particularly well...  They'll not be needed soon,
though (hopefully).